November 14, 2011

Catching Up

Here we are again. It's nearing the end of another season, and once more I'm behind, with heaps of things to share. More than any other season, fall always puts me in a mood of preparation, of tying up all the loose ends before the snow flies.

Over just the past two weeks, I've been lucky enough to catch up with a whole passel of friends, first on one coast, then the other, and even a brief stop in the middle. Blogging is a funny thing; many of you visit me here, so you already know at least the rough outline of what's new when I drop into town. Sometimes you seem apologetic, as if you've come by the information deviously. Not at all! I do this for myself, as a form of record-keeping and distillation, but I also do it to stay connected to friends far and wide. I love that I'm spared extensive explanations even when we see each other only once every year or two. I love that, although we live far apart, you already know so many of the details of my life and we can jump right back in at a deeper level. It was great that Carlyle in California was eager to meet Nick, and that Halle greeted me in DC with a barrage of questions to follow up on what she'd already gleaned online. When I apologized for being behind and noted that I tend to unleash whole avalanches of posts at once, Marin in Minneapolis knew that already, too. "It's like Christmas!" she said.

Thanks, everyone - I do so love knowing you're all out there. And with that, here comes the latest avalanche. Merry Christmas!

(An aside: As I was digging back through the archives for evidence of my habit of creating enormous, mish-mashy summary posts at the end of seasons, I also found this fall-themed post from two years ago, which is an example of the opposite: timely, spontaneous, in-the-moment. I'm sharing it now because the images fit the current season perfectly, but I'm also appreciating the spirit of it. I often feel pressure to tackle the backlog of material instead of highlighting what's fresh and immediate, but I hereby resolve to do this more often...regardless of how many other posts are languishing in the drafts folder or just in my head.)

No comments: