January 31, 2011

Pup in Boots

If you are a furry-footed golabalope (that's golden retriever and lab crossed with antelope, a preferred explanation for Maisie's curious parentage), there's just one problem with winter. It's not the cold; a fur coat takes care of that. It's certainly not the snow, which is perfect for romping, snuffling, and rolling with great enthusiasm. It could be the fact that those humans take for-EVER to gear up, what with the coat and boots and hat and scarf and mittens - but they always manage eventually. Nope, the main trouble is that snowballs collect in your paw-pads, requiring you to drop suddenly to your belly and attack them (usually causing the human directly behind you to stop short or fall over). You must bite out the offending chunks of ice and snow before you can carry on delighting in the winter world. And you must do this approximately every three minutes on the worst of days.

Enter the Ultra Paws.
Maisie was unconvinced when I first put them on her. Looking sheepish, she stood frozen waiting for me to remove them.
When she did try walking, it was with a comical high-stepping gait that was worth the price of the boots for the laugh alone. But once she got outside and realized the benefits, she was perfectly pleased. No more pausing to deal with snow paws!
  Happy dog does the "I love my boots" jig.
See, she's smiling!
 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

LOVE the boots Maisie!!! I can just picture the initial prancing. Enjoying your blog as usual Kate, hope all is well! xxoo, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Lu has shorter fur and does okay without boots, but I would have to agree about him waiting for me to get dressed! He does a whiny little dance near me and by the back door until I am ready to leave.