November 6, 2010

Sweet Surprise

Bees and butterflies aside, something else turned up spontaneously in my garden this year. Back in September, it appeared overnight and caught me entirely by surprise. The next thing I know, it feels so solid and real and right, it's clear that somehow these seeds were planted long ago.

Truth be told, I have a good reason for being behind with blog posts this fall.

His name is Nick. It's time I introduced you.He bakes bread and builds brick ovens. He restores wooden boats. He currently makes a living climbing trees, while he dreams of raising goats and making cheese. Versatile doesn't begin to describe his skill set. Build a cider press? Grow potatoes? Sail to an island? Replace a clutch? Tie elegant knots with fancy names? Make curry? Construct a yurt? Yes. All of the above. And as sweet as can be, too.

He comes from Wisconsin near the Minnesota border, by way of a winding trail that leads through Maine, Kansas, British Columbia, and Germany. But like me, he's made a commitment to this place and this community, and he's growing sturdy roots here.

Also like me, he comes as a package deal. His mellow sidekick, Bella, is a perfect foil to my crazy Maisie.
Speaking of Maisie, she thinks he's terrific. Perhaps someday she'll be able to merely race in circles whenever he appears at the door and leave off knocking him flat in her over-the-top joy, but for now I take it as confirmation that he's a good egg through and through.He's thoughtful and gentle and genuine. Dedicated to good, hard work, but with a spring in his step and a long playful streak. Equally ready to race through the woods or pause on a bench to reflect and connect. I am honored and enriched by the time we spend together, and oh-so-happy that our paths have converged.

I have some good adventures to recount already. And we've been keeping a list of further adventures as we think of them, tacked to my refrigerator and ever-growing. So if that's any indication, there will be lots, lots more to come.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

YAY! Best reason ever to be behind on blog postings. It was so great to see you when you were in town - glad that worked out! Abigail is still talking about Auntie Kate. xo, Sarah

Jean said...

I had a big smile on my face as I read this!

Sarah Lerohl said...

:) Awesome!

Kate said...

Thanks for the thumbs-up, everybody! I've been wanting to write this post for a while but was waiting until the time felt just right. Glad to have you here cheering me on!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Nick! He sounds wonderful, Kate. I hope to meet him someday soon. We are so happy for you! Karin

Anonymous said...

I'm SO happy for you, Kate! Nick sounds like a wonderful guy, and a perfect fit for you. Enjoy the holiday season together! And continue to blog about your adventures. :) Susanna

Carlyle said...

Oh YAY Kate! I'm so glad to hear that he's still a part of your life and a big enough one to blog about. Hooray! I'm kinda crying over here picturing you so happy. I must still have some pregnancy hormones left or something... :) Much love to you and I hope to meet him someday.