July 14, 2010

Construction Zone

After some hemming and hawing about whether to tackle it on the heels of all the other recent improvements, the last big house project is underway! The past few weeks have been a flurry of price quotes, tile samples, materials lists, and phone consultations with the builder, the lumberyard, and my dad. I think I've been to one or the other (or more) of the three big-box home-improvement stores every single day this week. (You know it's bad when you have the stupid "save big money at Menards" theme song stuck in your head.)

For now, it's a lovely mess.This is what the upstairs bathroom and bedroom closet look like with all their insides hanging out. Tom the Builder and his crew started demolition last Monday morning. I began the process, carefully pulling off the old wood trim so we can reuse it and then chipping off all the shower tiles. I discovered some layers of history underneath. Here are some fun decals stuck on top of even older wallpaper.And here's a whole collection of treasures that seem to have been stashed in a hole in the floorboards.On Friday, once the inside was prepped and the weather forecast stopped calling for rain, it was time to cut a hole in the roof. Here it goes!
It didn't take them long at all to finish sawing and start framing in the new dormer that will open up the steeply sloped bathroom ceiling, making it so much more functional.
Just a few hours later, it had sides and a roof. Here's the view from inside:It was a perfect treehouse at this stage. I was tempted to say, "Forget the bathroom, let's just build a big porch!" But I suppose scrounging showers from neighbors might get old after a while.
By the next morning, a layer of waterproofer meant rain would no longer spell disaster.And now it has a shingled roof and looks like it just sort of sprouted out of the existing rooftop.
The inside walls are framed in and electrical is at the rough-in stage. There's a bathtub in the backyard awaiting installation when the plumber arrives. I just finished pulling off the last remaining vinyl siding and painting trim boards so that everything is ready for the new siding to go on tomorrow. Moving along! At this rate, there might even be a bit of summer left for me to enjoy once all the decisions are made and the last tile is laid. For now, it's definitely the main event around here.

No comments: