February 8, 2010

Sunny Sunday

A sun-shiny day by the bay! Sometimes we can go a long time without seeing the sun around here in the winter, so days like this bring everybody outside, faces turned up to the sky, blinking in the bright light and basking in the radiance. After a run along the shore with Maisie to soak it up, I couldn't resist taking some photos of the blue sky, blue water, and intriguing ice forms.

 
In a recent report from Petoskey, my dad mentioned that Little Traverse Bay is starting to freeze over, which usually happens around this time of year. When he asked about Grand Traverse Bay, I had to admit that I didn't know. It's only 12 blocks from my house, so there was no excuse except that all my walks with Maisie lately had been in the woods and the nearby neighborhood and I hadn't caught even a glimpse of the water in a while. That shameful situation needed to be remedied. I can now report that the bay is still wide open. There's a bit of ice along the shoreline and some rafts of icy-looking stuff here and there further out...but plenty of open water to reflect the blue, blue sky when the golden sun shows its face.

No comments: