When I got in Monday morning on the red-eye flight, with gritty eyes and a lingering sore throat, my immediate reaction was relief to be home. Two and a half weeks is a long time to be on the move for this homebody, and I was ready to be back to my own routine. (Such a Capricorn, according to my astro-logical friend Michelle.) And of course I was delighted to see my Maisie. I know she was very well taken care of by her "grandparents." (Thanks again, Mom and Dad!) But she performed such a gleeful wiggly-waggy welcome dance that it was worth going away just to come home to that.
However, I also felt a twinge of the "grass is greener" syndrome. (Well. The grass is greener on the west coast right now. Much, much greener.) Michigan won the coin toss when I was deciding where to settle, but I'll always have some lingering regrets about the roads not taken. The feeling was compounded by the winter blues that always strike in January - usually immediately post-holidays, but this year I outran them until I stopped moving. Then they caught up with me full force.
My house seemed empty and lonely with just Maisie and me to fill it. Even when my super-snuggly pup hopped onto the bed and curled into the curve of my bent knees, she couldn't quite fill the hole left behind by the shape of where I'd been. I missed the friends I'd just reconnected with...and I wished I'd had more time and more energy to connect more fully...and I felt desolate just thinking of the immense energy it would take to forge deeper connections here, if I could find them at all. And I'd loved seeing all the little ones and spending a short time in their worlds, but I'd also gotten a glimpse of how hard parenting is. And while I still think that's something I want to do if I have the chance, that dose of reality felt overwhelming, too.
I needed to get out. And I did. For one worthwhile reason after another. I'm slowly letting these reasons work their way in and improve my outlook - because there are so many terrific things happening here.
On Monday night I trekked through the cold to the Opera House for the Traverse City Tomorrow forum, where a crowd of 400 listened to a panel of local leaders weigh in with their ideas for realizing the potential of this place. I am energized by the fact that we have a smart-growth Grand Vision to guide us and a mayor with a plan I can definitely get behind. I'm encouraged to know that so many of the things I hold dear - appreciation for a stunning landscape, environmental protection, local food production, a walkable and bikeable city, a strong community of neighbors who can see past differences of opinion to help each other out - are at the forefront of the agenda for many others, too.
On Tuesday Maisie and I went for a post-work woods-walk with Michael and Powell and then returned home to eat soup by the fire. While it hasn't always been easy to occupy the middle ground in this saga, and so often I am baffled about what outcome even to hope for, it's still nice that somehow it works.
Wednesday I finally went grocery shopping, and Thursday to the monthly Green Drinks event where I found that I actually knew plenty of people to chat with. Friday I saw Michael's play, and Saturday we went for another neighborly dog walk in the woods.
On Sunday I spent the afternoon in a packed meeting room at the library, where we heard Eric Toensmeier talk about permaculture and community gardens and discussed how these principles could be applied locally. I'm totally inspired by his backyard food-producing jungle in Massachusetts and energized to start planning further additions to my own garden. Plus, urban chickens have been approved in TC as of last September. There's much excitement. Somebody's even organizing a "Tour de Coop" for the spring. More here - and more to come from me on the subject, no doubt, as I ponder whether to start a flock of my own. Meanwhile, I keep meeting more good folks of my generation whose roots are here in northern Michigan and who, like me, went off and had adventures elsewhere and have recently returned, full of energy and enthusiasm and ideas and a strong commitment to this community.
After the library event, I picked up Maisie and drove out to the farm for a snowy walk with Michelle and Berkana, and while the dogs didn't become fast friends, they did fine as walking companions. So that was a step forward. And then we talked travels over a pot of tea - mine just completed and hers upcoming (an even crazier schedule - east coast and west and middle, too). Which satisfied a bit more of my craving for connection.
That was last week. This week, among other things, I've been listening nonstop to "Daisy" May Erlewine, a local musician and all-around beautiful soul. Her songs are both complement and antidote to my bleak midwinter mood, and I can't get enough of them right now. So it seems significant that I just came across this tidbit in a back issue of Traverse magazine. The article, "Singin' Us Home," is about May and her musical and life partner Seth Bernard, and it concludes:
"At a concert during the 2006 Great Lakes Bioneers Conference - an annual Traverse City-based environmental symposium - Seth interjected between songs, "If some of you young people are thinking of moving to Oregon, please don't. We need you here!" It was a message that had personal relevance for the duo: when they were first playing together, Seth and May themselves gave some thought to moving to Portland (Seth's mother and sisters live there and sing together). But Seth and May decided to remain in the Midwest, and they soon became an integral part of Michigan's musical landscape - not to mention two of the busiest musicians in the state. "There was this feeling we both had about all our friends and music here, that it was gaining momentum and galvanizing," Seth says... "Every community has a certain need, and part of our thing is focusing on Michigan."Indeed. I feel the momentum, too. And I'm here to stay. Digging in. Looking up. Back home.
(Still with me? Regularly scheduled programming resumes soon - more pictures, generally upbeat attitude. In the meantime, I wonder if you might consider leaving a calling card in the comments section - on this post or any other. Sometimes it gets lonely here. I'd love to hear a voice that's not my own!)

9 comments:
Oh Kate, we miss you. Thanks so much for making the trek out to see us; it was good for the souls (all of us :). I'm glad you're finding reasons and ways to dig in and gain momentum in your friendships (human, music, chickens, and doggies) there too. Sorry to contribute so overly much to the glimpse into the "difficulties of parenting" :) Nell was in rare form for parts of your visit--oops.
I read your blog lots, but don't post since I hardly ever have things to say that are as beautiful as your posts :) But I do love reading them.
Hugs to you Kate from all of us. Next time you come out there may be more of us...we'll see.
Carlyle, I always love your comments. Keep 'em coming! Although seeing you is even better, of course, and temper tantrums are just part of that whole "here and now" experience. :) I'm all for more members of the Miller family - keep working on that!
I'm here too, Kate! And totally love and look forward to reading your blog posts and looking at your pics. I really respect the choice you made to return home, and it sounds like you've landed in a wonderful, wonderful place there. Yes, finding a community in its many forms takes time, but I have no doubt that you'll get there in a fully satisfying way. And as one who is midwestern-bound myself, hooray for more friends there! I can't wait to be a little closer so we can visit!
Great travelogue, Kate! It's been fun following along on your blog.
I am also a little envious that you got to see Eric Toensmeier -- despite living in the same state as him, I have not been so lucky. We do have Toby Hemenway (http://patternliteracy.com/) coming this month, though, which is exciting.
Oh, hooray! It's great to know the JP crew is out there, and thanks for the votes of support for digging in here. Joe, I'd love to talk permaculture. I can't wait until you two have a yard in Minnesota and we can share design ideas. And, of course, see each other more often with only one state between us instead of many!
Posted on behalf of Sarah W in Montreal:
Hi Kate,
Over the last two days I have tried 5 times to post a comment on your blog, which I read religiously and love. It has brought you back into my life so vividly, if virtually. There is some technical problem on my end, I think.
In short, I wanted to say this: I read all the time. Am often tempted to comment. I am envious of your crafts, your garden, your nature walks, and your local home-state life. How could I get so close to VT and not actually live there?
Please consider the Windsor-Montreal rail corridor and come see us. We'd love to eat, play, bicycle, and homebody with you.
We are trying to dig in here, too and it's hard. Sometimes if feels like the digging claws are not long enough or the soil is too sandy. I
think the claws are growing, though.
Best,
Sarah
Reading this post makes me regret all the recent events I didn't attend: Traverse City Tomorrow overlapped my Family Wisdom planning meeting; Toensmeier at the library (I just spaced tis but heard it was excellent), Green Drinks (Is that THIS Thursday??), and Seth and Mae at the Music and Microbrew Festival on Friday because we were with friends celebrating a birthday.
Thanks for stopping by my blog; I'd love to talk chickens and whatever else comes up!
So much good stuff going on - a good problem to have, I guess! Green Drinks is next Thursday (the 25th) at Left Foot Charley. Angela, I left a comment at your blog - looking forward to connecting!
Welcome to TC Kate! And excited to hear that you're helping with Bioneers. That's great news.
Post a Comment