Schools were closed. Plows were on frequent patrol. The big boots marched out of the closet, and I quickly got reacquainted with my snow shovel. My car battery died. Nighttime neighborhood walks became strikingly beautiful, with Christmas lights sparkling out from under mounds of snow and through rows of gleaming icicles.
When I noticed Maisie excavating in the garden and munching on the remaining kale, I decided it was high time for the final harvest. Here's a bucket of frozen broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, parsley, cabbages, and whatever else I found beneath the blanket of white.
Friday's second helping of stone soup was very cozy, with ice lanterns at the front door, a fire burning in the fireplace, lights on the tree and greens on the mantel, and lentil soup and gingerbread cookies in the kitchen. Alas, it was not so well attended as the first. Thanks to Michelle for making the trek through the drifts! Maisie and I both enjoyed your company. And the Subaru enjoyed being called into service, battery all recharged, to help get Birch Point farm produce to the next day's market.
On Saturday the sun came out, after nine days of snow in a row. It was so lovely on our morning walk that I had to go back and get my camera. So I got my skis, too, and took a gliding photo-tour.
I wish you could see what color the sky really was, not what the camera recorded. Much deeper blue, making such a perfect contrast with the dark green of the trees and the thick white frosting on the branches.And I love the little teepees that have lumped up around every stem in this windswept snowscape.
The truth is, I just love snow!





3 comments:
Thank you, Kate! How wonderful and inspiring. We're getting our first big snow in Boston tonight, so I have high hopes for tomorrow.
Thanks, Jess. Hope you wake up to a winter wonderland - have fun!
That section of woods near the men's walk is one of my favorite places to hike although I usually end up much farther back into the hospital grounds.
Post a Comment