So I stepped off the plane in Munich, got on a train, and made my way to Trier, on Germany's western edge near the border with Luxembourg. There I met up with Nick and we spent the next week hopping from town to town along the Mosel River.
Trier holds the distinction of being Germany's oldest city, and is home to a massive cathedral and some impressive Roman ruins.
![]() |
| The cathedral in Trier's town center. |
![]() |
| Kaiserthermen Roman Baths |
From Trier, we traveled to the town of Bernkastel-Kues.
There we rented bikes and spent the next two days pedaling our way along the river to Cochem.
The Mosel Valley is a major wine-growing region, and the vineyards are incredibly steep.
Truly, I don't know how they work these slopes. But somehow it's part of the secret behind some excellent Rieslings and other white wines.
Apparently these steep hillsides were also good for defense. A castle, or the ruins of one, presides over nearly every town.
![]() |
| Cochem |
![]() |
| Castle above Bernkastel |
![]() |
| Above Beilstein |
I found it thrilling to be in Europe for the first time, frustrating not to speak the language, and disconcerting that the police sirens still sound just like the ones I recall from every World War II-era movie I've seen. The selection of wine, beer, and hearty breads made up for a lack of vegetarian-friendly fare, and the attention to detail in every slate-tiled roof and carved doorway and half-timbered wall never got old. Biking was a perfect way to experience this landscape, and someday we'll come back and pedal more of the Moselradweg - or perhaps walk the Moselhohenweg, the hiking trail that follows the heights above the river.
The whole journey is documented more thoroughly in my Germany photo album. In the interest of finally getting this posted, I'll leave it at that!













1 comment:
Hello! Yay! Glad you got on bikes.
—Sarah
Post a Comment