June 7, 2010

Prospects and Promises

The garden is mostly planted. And mostly, with the exception of a few things I started weeks ago (including the mustard and arugula explosions above), it's still just a promise of things to come. A blank canvas of soil in some places, tiny sprouts in others - all poised on the brink, coiled up tight with potential energy. Pockets of the possible tucked into each rich brown row.
In the new bed formerly known as Squash Mountain, patches of perennials wait to be overtaken by cosmos and crazy striped marigolds, possibly the occasional cucumber or melon vine, and whichever other of the many seeds I scattered here manage to thrive.
Here's the current state of the sunflower border. If last year is any gauge, it'll be towering in full sunny splendor in a month or so.
Speaking of last year, right about now is when I dug up a bit of rhubarb from the plant in my parents' yard and stuck it in along the fence. Looks to be quite well established this year!
It was also about a year ago that I was trying to figure out how to move the large and unwieldy compost pile out of the way of the about-to-be-built garage. Glad to have both of those tasks behind me, I'm also very pleased with my tidy new compost bin, built with help from Dad and a big saw from a single long pallet that held the load of new siding last fall.

Some close-up glimpses of the green, growing, potential-laden garden plants:
Followed by some full-on flower glory:Meanwhile, I'm full of plans for expansion. I acquired a number of new shade-lovers from two recent native plant sales and my mom's extras, with which I aim to replace the messy row of rocks alongside the house. (Celandine poppy, foamflower, ostrich ferns, sweet woodruff.)
The plants can go in as soon as I finish the major rock-removal operation. Then . . . I can add more rocks! (Big ones in a border instead of the annoying catch-in-the-rake gravel that ends up strewn all over the yard.)
More ferns are unfurling in curly fronds this year after being salvaged last summer from a neighbor's pile of cast-offs. These will get moved from their temporary home under the front bushes to join the others in the shady side bed.
And then I just might be tempted to create yet another new bed to ring the oak tree and house a little woodland garden with trillium, solomon's seal, bloodroot, and hepatica.
And then I am banned from purchasing, gleaning, dividing, or seeding any more plants for a while, as I've been obsessed to the point of ignoring most other home-owning duties lately!

No comments: