Crocuses! Spotted today just down the block.In related news: Last week, a text message blinked onto my phone from Portland, Oregon, where an early spring is in full swing. "Just saw my first iris blooming!" wrote my friend Charyl.
I love the sharing of spring signs across state lines. And I fully appreciate the idea of that iris from afar. I'm not, however, ready to see one blooming on my block just yet. It's a funny thing that may not make sense to those of you in springier climes...but in these parts, spring is something to be earned. Irises must be worked up to. It starts with a long frozen winter that gives way to slush and mud, proceeds slowly to the tiniest of green sprouts, and ramps up from there. Here, we're still at the sprout stage. And here is where my internal clock was set. Meanwhile, I know my former neighbor feels equally at ease back home in Portland, on a very different timetable.
Even so, I do wish I could still see her house from my front door.
The obvious solution is this: I need a portal in my back fence. Thousands of miles, a three hour time difference, the gap between icy mud puddles and blooming irises – all would be magically erased when the door swooshed open. On one side, my yard in Michigan. On the other, Portland. Or Duluth, or Boston, or the greater DC metropolis, or any of the various other places where my good friends go about their lives. There'd be a little keypad where I could dial in the destination, or maybe one of those intercoms like the ones for calling apartment residents from the front door so they can buzz you in. We could all live in our home habitats and still be neighbors. I'd enjoy your irises and, more importantly, your company, without giving up the requisite month of mud that precedes a glorious explosion of green in the north country.
I suppose this blog is a sort of portal already. It only opens now and then, and only reveals whatever snippets I get around to taking pictures of and writing about. But it does transport you here for a brief visit. Of course, it'd be so much better if I could see you, too, and invite you in to catch up over a cup of tea. Alas. Maybe with Web 3.0.
In the meantime, I have an idea. Let's swing the portal open the other way for the season. A springtime special.
Here's the plan. I'm dialing you up right now. If you buzz me in and the portal swooshes open and offers a glimpse of your life at this moment, as spring unfolds where you live, what will I see?
- Choose a scene to share.
- Take a picture or describe it in words or, better yet, do both.
- Email it to me. (hofmann dot kate AT gmail dot com)
- Then I'll post it up here.
I love the thought of spring washing over the continent like a wave, touching each of you in turn. The portal's open - I do hope you will please play along!




5 comments:
Oh fun! I will bring a camera to our spring gardening worday at cohousing today. Our peach tree is in bloom...
I'm pretty sure my portal will be remarkably like yours, but I'm game.
This early spring is both exciting and scary to me. I want so badly to get my hands in the dirt, but I'm still waiting for a March blizzard to come and take it all away.
I think I may have unknowingly walked right by you Wednesday afternoon. My friend Shannon and I were on our way back to the Mens' Walk.
Excellent! I will be happy to peek through portals both near and far!
Angela, my dog and I head over to the Men's Walk almost daily. But I was in Kalkaska all afternoon on Wednesday. Hmmm - I'm sure we'll cross paths soon, though, one way or another!
Must have been another girl with a dog in your alley then. :)
Your photos are beautiful Kate! I will see if I can get any good spring photos for you!
Post a Comment