

Is there anything that says "cozy evening at home" like a fire in the fireplace and a sleeping dog curled up (er, sprawled full length) beside the hearth? Maisie and I are thoroughly enjoying the new fireplace. And this baby burns - the furnace doesn't run at all once it's cranked up and the blower is on. Of course I didn't have a chance to lay in a store of seasoned firewood before winter, but I've been won over by an excellent alternative. A local sawmill (Sawmill Bill's in Interlochen) compresses its waste sawdust into "
eco-heating bricks" that burn just like wood, only cleaner, with less moisture, and at a comparable price. I now have a half-ton of them piled in my front entry - 42 bags like the one below!

Unlike last week when the temperature was hovering right around frigid, tonight it's almost 40 degrees and I can hear rain pattering on the windows. Our lovely snow has been reduced to icy, grimy, rapidly shrinking piles. The groundhog promised six more weeks of winter and I'm sure the cold and snow will return, but for now it's pretty ugly. All the better for sitting by the fire, though.
3 comments:
Once again, a beautiful transformation. Will you come to CA, select a house with potential, and transform it into a cozy sanctuary for me? Pleeeeaaase?
Susanna :)
Kate, I love the new fireplace. We are enjoying the one in our rental. It's amazing how warm it gets when it's going full-force. I hope you are doing well in the snowy north. We had 2 cross-country and 1 downhill skis this week. What a life! Miss you! Karin
Wow -- I want to curl up with Maisie! Very beautiful craftsmanship on the fireplace, Kate!
As you know, there aren't fireplaces at Northgate. Scott's parents have one, and we have been known to call them on cold winter nights and say, "Nice night for a fire, huh?"
Not too subtle, but there's not much we won't do for a seat next to a real crackling fire.
Looking forward to more dispatches from Michagan!
Anne K.
Post a Comment