Just before heading back to Petoskey for Christmas, I spackled many, many holes in the walls, then repainted everything a shade of tan ("Ramie") that was very similar to the previous color (other than the two-tone fireplace wall). With that done, and with help from cousin Michael to strategically stack all the furniture puzzle-like into the mudroom, everything was set for D.J.'s arrival. Maisie and I stayed away to avoid the dust and noise during the week after New Year's, and then returned to a marvelous transformation. At my request, D.J. used a zero-VOC finish called Rubio Monocoat, in a shade called "Pine." It's a natural, penetrating oil, rather than the sit-on-top coating of polyurethane. The whole effect is warm and rich - really lovely. I couldn't wait to put down rugs, arrange the furniture, unpack some books at last, and settle my small jungle of houseplants in their new home. Here are some "after" shots.
January 16, 2009
Before and After: Living/Dining Room
The next big project in the reusing-what's-here department was to refurbish the wood floors in the living and dining room. They'd been painted white, but by the time I moved in that had become an unfortunate shade of grimy gray. I just hoped what was underneath was worth salvaging. D.J., who runs a refinishing outfit called Timeless Wood Floors, came by to take a look and give me an estimate. (Lacking experience and a great big sanding machine, I didn't feel up to tackling this project myself.) He thought they were fir and would probably turn out much like the unpainted wood flooring upstairs. I was sold. Here's the "before" look.

Just before heading back to Petoskey for Christmas, I spackled many, many holes in the walls, then repainted everything a shade of tan ("Ramie") that was very similar to the previous color (other than the two-tone fireplace wall). With that done, and with help from cousin Michael to strategically stack all the furniture puzzle-like into the mudroom, everything was set for D.J.'s arrival. Maisie and I stayed away to avoid the dust and noise during the week after New Year's, and then returned to a marvelous transformation. At my request, D.J. used a zero-VOC finish called Rubio Monocoat, in a shade called "Pine." It's a natural, penetrating oil, rather than the sit-on-top coating of polyurethane. The whole effect is warm and rich - really lovely. I couldn't wait to put down rugs, arrange the furniture, unpack some books at last, and settle my small jungle of houseplants in their new home. Here are some "after" shots.


Just before heading back to Petoskey for Christmas, I spackled many, many holes in the walls, then repainted everything a shade of tan ("Ramie") that was very similar to the previous color (other than the two-tone fireplace wall). With that done, and with help from cousin Michael to strategically stack all the furniture puzzle-like into the mudroom, everything was set for D.J.'s arrival. Maisie and I stayed away to avoid the dust and noise during the week after New Year's, and then returned to a marvelous transformation. At my request, D.J. used a zero-VOC finish called Rubio Monocoat, in a shade called "Pine." It's a natural, penetrating oil, rather than the sit-on-top coating of polyurethane. The whole effect is warm and rich - really lovely. I couldn't wait to put down rugs, arrange the furniture, unpack some books at last, and settle my small jungle of houseplants in their new home. Here are some "after" shots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment